Skate - Hobby
Skate Bearings - Frequently Asked Questions
Skates and skateboards use precision bearings to enable them to run smoothly. They don’t require high precision bearings. Abec 1 precision is acceptable for skates and skateboards.
Beware of sales pitches that are embellished with technical sounding terms. You will often find that the more technical jargon that is contained in a sales pitch, the less meaningful it will be. If you don’t fully understand the jargon, don’t assume that it must mean something good.
Beware of sales pitches using excessive positive sounding adjectives, which when you think about it are really not measurable facts. By this we mean, look out for repetitive use of words like "super", "mega", "turbo", "extra", "improved", "heavy duty". Most of these phrases could legitimately be used to describe just about anything because they are not measurable qualities. A cassette player is improved when compared with a record player. An XT computer is Super Fast compared to an adding machine. Cardboard is heavy duty compared to paper. Plastic is heavy duty compared to cardboard. Steel is heavy duty compared to plastic. Is "Super Hardened" really any different to "Hardened"?
Frequently Asked Questions - Index
- ABEC - What does it mean?
- ABEC 1 - Is there a lower grade?
- ABEC 9 - Are they any better than ABEC 1?
- Aggressive Skating - Recommended Bearings
- Ceramic Ball Bearings - Are They Any Good?
- Full Contact Metal Shield - What Is It?
- High Precision Bearings - Grades Available
- High Precision Bearings - Standards
- High Precision Bearings - "Supermarket" brands
- High Precision Bearings - What are they used for?
- High Precision Bearings - Why all the hype?
- Indy Cars - Do Skate Wheels turn faster ?
- Is this a sales pitch?
- Noise Levels, Clearance, Lubrication - Are they covered by ABEC standards?
- Nylon Cages (Retainers)
- Other factors affecting bearing quality
- Part Numbering - "Z" and "ZZ" meaning
- Purpose of this FAQ
- Results to be expected from using High Precision Bearings
- Seals and Shields
- SUJ2 and SAE52100 - What is the difference?
- Speed - How to get more from your bearings
- Speed - What speeds do skate bearings do?
- Stainless Steel Bearings
You can purchase online at Bearing Shop Online.
The Small Parts and Bearings website has a much larger range of engineering supplies.
Hobby and Engineering Supplies lists a smaller range of products and only the most popular items in each range. They also list many additional hobby specific categories.
For the best range of miniature and small bearings please try the Miniature Bearings Australia website. Miniature Bearings Australia also list a large variety of miniature engineering products.
Extra information for Hobby - Skate
Registered Australian Company: Small Parts & Bearings Pty Ltd (ABN 79 121 865 414) - Trading as Bearing Shop Online
Bearing Shop Online offers 25840 products in 537 categories including ball bearings, roller bearings, thrust bearings, ceramic and ceramic hybrid bearings, stainless steel bearings, miniature bearings, linear bearings, shafting, corrosion resistant - see the full listing in the Online Catalogue. We have excellent Freight Rates within Australia and worldwide. We offer a choice of delivery with a signature required, or cheaper options with no signature required. The no signature required options are at the customer’s risk once the goods leave our store.
Using the links throughout this site you will find extensive information including catalogues, technical data, and other product specific information. We sell our products worldwide through our online store and our overseas freight rates are competitive for fully traceable courier delivery.
Bearing Shop Online is part of MBA Group offering a select range from the MBA Group catalogue.
Bearing Shop Online products are not authorised for sale into the USA or Canada due to the reluctance of Australian insurers to provide product liability insurance into those two countries.
Information on this website is Copyright Bearing Shop Online 1997. All rights reserved.